30 June 2010

Insomniac SFX

Well, I've spent the last few days working on an SFX test for Insomniac Games. Had to build a weapon firing sequence with a modeled projectile, muzzle flash, and weapon damage sim. I was limited to 800 particles at any given time, 4 256x256 textures for sprites, and the dynamics sim could have no more than 32 meshes. They wanted not only a realistic sim, but also a stylized sim. So for my realistic sim I created an RPG firing a grenade at a car. I used sprites for the muzzle flash, smoke, and explosion. This is the first time I've ever used sprites. Texturing isn't my thing. I'm used to memory hogging fluids and realflow. My stylized version was a ray gun blowing up the same car. It was pretty fun to do and I learned how to use sprites. I might find a use for these little guys later they make it rather easy to make magical effects. Sorry no video yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment